Plan to join the Mississippi Recycling Coalition for Mississippi's only recycling conference to be held October 28 - 30, 2013 at the Hollywood Casino Resort in Bay St. Louis. This year's conference will include updates on commodity makre conditions, public incentive and outreach programs, legislativve abd regulatory updates, and more. We will have a special focus on Wednesday, October 30, on the economic benefits of the state's recycling industry. For more information, please visit http://www.msrecycles.org/Conference2013 or download a flier.
MDEQ is joining the U.S. Composting Council and other organizations across the country to promote the benefits of composting through the International Compost Awareness Week (ICAW), May 6-12, 2013. The ICAW was started in 1999 by the U.S. Composting Council and is held annually during the first full week of May. The purpose of this multi-media event is to educate the public on home composting and encourage the support of larger scale composting operations through participation in community programs and the purchase of compost from locally owned businesses. The theme for ICAW 2013 is Compost: Nature’s Way to Grow!
The Mississippi Recycling Coalition's Legislative Committee reports that at least two bills involving recycling in Mississippi have passed the State Legislature and have been signed by Governor Phill Bryant. These bills were Senate Bill 2754 introduced by Senator Chris Massey (R-DeSoto County) and House Bill 1680 introduced by Representative Jeffrey Smith (R-Lowndes County).
The Product Stewardship Institute (PSI) has recently announced their Spring 2013 Webinar Series. Costs for registering for each webinar range from free (for full PSI members) to $120 (for non-PSI members). The Spring 2013 series includes the following webinars:
- How Legislated Product Stewardship Programs Strengthen the Economy - April 25, 12:00-1:30 PM CST
- Lessons Learned from the Nation's First Statewide Paint Stewardship Program - May 2, 12:00-1:30 PM CST
- Product Stewardship: Transition from Voluntary to Regulatory - May 13, 12:00-1:30 PM CST
- Maximizing Eco-Design through EPR and Voluntary Guidelines - May 28, 12:00-1:30 PM CST - Free Webinar
- Compariing the Lifecycle Impacts of Solid Waste Management Strategies - June 5, 12:00-1:30 PM CST - Free Webinar
- Setting and Sharing Standards for Corporate Social Responsibility - June 20, 12:00-1:30 PM CST
The Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership and the Mississippi Recycling Coalition in conjunction with several other sponsors are offering a Business Electronics Scrap Collection Day on Friday, April 26, 2013 from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Mississippi Farmer's Market (929 High Street, Jackson).