Jackson, MS – The Mississippi Recycling Coalition (MRC) is pleased to announce the award of five Mississippi School Recycling Grants for the 2016-2017 School Year to schools in Batesville, Guntown, New Albany, Philadelphia, and Lauderdale County, Mississippi. These grants are offered to all public and private schools teaching grade K-12 students in the State of Mississippi. The awards include a $500 or $1,000 cash award and a complimentary 1-year membership to the Coalition for each school. A panel of MRC members evaluated each school grant application received based on the reuse, recycling, and composting components of the program; the amount of student leadership and student participation in the recycling program; the emphasis on educating students on the benefits of recycling; and the community involvement, participation, and outreach components of the program. Other components considered included the creativity of the program, technical design of the program, sustainability of the program, and maximization of resources within the program.
The Mississippi Recycling Coalition (MRC) is now accepting nominations for the Environmental Hero Awards, which recognize outstanding recycling programs and organizations in Mississippi. Please help us by nominating a deserving program and organization that you believe has made a difference in the state. The award is open to local governments, state and federal agencies, businesses/corporations, non-profits and educational institutions. In addition, the MRC honors a new program (less than 2 years old) each year in one or more of these categories. Nominations are due February 13, 2017.
The MRC evaluates nominations based on promotion of recycling, the duration and extent of the recycling program, the overall environmental stewardship, and the manner in which recycling has improved community waste handling and environmental practices.
This awards program is part of the MRC’s continued efforts to educate our residents on the benefits of recycling and promote the growth of the recycling industry in Mississippi.
The Mississippi Recycling Coalition (MRC) is offering up to $10,000 in grants to schools to support new or expanding recycling programs. Both $500 and $1,000 grants are available to public and private K-12 schools in Mississippi. This grant program supports the mission of MRC, a non-profit organization that works to promote and grow recycling efforts in the state.
Applications are due Tuesday, December 20, 2016. Mailed applications should be postmarked by that date; faxed and emailed applications should be submitted by 11:59 p.m.
MRC accepts applications through mail, fax and email. Please make sure applications and all accompanying forms are submitted by the deadline. Also, please note guidelines and instructions below.
Mail: ATTN: School Recycling Grants, Mississippi Recycling Coalition, PO Box 23294, Jackson, MS 39225
Fax: ATTN: School Recycling Grants, Mississippi Recycling Coalition, 601-961-5785
Guidelines and Instructions:
- MRC only accepts one application per school.
- A budget outline must be included in response to Question 6 on the application form. The budget must support the grant amount the school is requesting (e.g. $500 or $1,000).
- We request that all signatures be completed with an ink pen in a color other than black.
- Applications without the necessary signatures will not be considered.
- Only typed pages will be considered.
- Font size should be no smaller than 10 points and no larger than 14 points.
- In responding to Questions 1-6 of the application, additional attachments or enclosures may be included if needed.
The Mississippi Recycling Coalition (MRC) is pleased to announce the 2015 Environmental Hero Award recipients honoring outstanding recycling programs and organizations in the state. Each year, MRC seeks nominations of organizations, businesses, agencies, schools, and local governments from around the State of Mississippi that have excelled in their recycling and environmental program efforts. The nominees are evaluated based on the promotion of recycling, the duration and extent of their recycling program(s), the overall environmental stewardship, and the manner in which recycling has improved community waste handling and environmental practices. MRC is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2015 Environmental Hero Awards for “Recycler of the Year” in the following 5 categories:
- DeSoto County is the recipient of the 2015 “Local Government Recycler of the Year” Award for the state. DeSoto County is being recognized for its progressive implementation and continued promotion and growth of the county recycling program.
- Hinds Community College is the recipient of the 2015 “Educational Institution Recycler of the Year” Award for the state. Hinds Community College has a long history of promoting and providing recycling services that spans the past 20 years.
- The Uncle Ben’s Facility in Greenville is the recipient of the 2015 “Business and Industry Recycler of the Year” Award for the state. The Greenville Uncle Ben’s Facility is a division of Mars, Inc. a national food company that employs a company-wide Zero Landfill Initiative.
- The Camp Shelby Recycle Center of the Mississippi Army National Guard is the recipient of the 2015 “State and Federal Government Recycler of the Year” Award for the state. The Camp Shelby Recycle Center is a part of the Mississippi Army National Guard Qualified Recycle Program.
- Keep the Reservoir Beautiful is the recipient of the 2015 “Non-Profit Recycler of the Year” Award. Keep the Reservoir Beautiful, an affiliate of Keep Mississippi Beautiful, works to promote waste reduction, recycling, composting, litter prevention and beautification in the area of the Ross Barnett Reservoir located in Central Mississippi.
Congratulations to each of the organizations receiving the 2015 Recycler of the Year Awards for the State! MRC appreciates the hard work, the commitment and the leadership that each of these organizations have consistently demonstrated. The MRC looks forward to continued growth of the recycling industry in Mississippi through the efforts of this year's awards recipients. For the full details on each of the award recipients read the full press release in the left hand column under the Recent Press Releases heading.
The Mississippi Recycling Coalition is a consortium of recycling companies, local governments, state agencies, and other interested organizations in the State of Mississippi. MRC promotes and encourages responsible solid waste management through various methods such as source reduction, reuse, recycling, and composting programs.